You have decided to take one of the CAPLE exams but you are not sure how to start studying… It is not unusual to feel overwhelmed when you have to start studying for an exam. Discipline and consistency are key requirements for a good exam preparation, so it is important to draft a plan to you can make the whole process more manageable and effective. Here are some tips and suggestions to help you get started:
- Start by creating a study schedule and setting mini-goals for each study session. Set a realistic timeline for your study sessions and give yourself enough time to review and revise. It is always better to study a little bit each day over a long period of time than to cram all your study sessions on the last weeks or days before the exam. This will help you stay organized and focused on what needs to be done.
- Know the exam format and content: Before you begin preparing, familiarize yourself with the exam format and content. This will help you identify the topics that you need to focus on and the type of questions that you will be asked.
- Gather study materials: Make sure you have all the necessary study materials, perhaps a grammar or a language textbook, other reading and listening items, your own language study notes, flashcards, etc. and, most importantly, practice exams or at least the model test exam available in the CAPLE website. This will help to have everything you need organised in a way that is easy to access and use.
- Practice, practice, practice!!!! Use every change you have to practice the language. The more you practice the more confident you will be on the day of the exam. Practice with model exams to test your knowledge and identify skills that need improvement. Practice with sample questions to improve your question-answering skills. This will help you get familiar with the exam format and the type of questions you will face.
- Seek support. Find a study partner, join a study group, reach out to a teachers, a tutors, a coach, or classmates. Ask for clarification on difficult concepts or questions as well as support to overcome exam stress..
This will help you build confidence and improve your performance on the day of the exam.
Best of luck!